Thursday, April 17, 2008

Seeing is believing

Last October I had laser surgery to fix my short sightedness. I had to have Lazek as opposed to Lasek. They sound similar, but they're very different. With Lazek the top layer of cells over the eye are dissociated and pushed asside, then the lazer does it's work. The cells are pushed back and a bandage contact lens is placed over the eye for about a week. The first 3 days are hell. I could hardly sleep due to the pain. I laid on the couch and listened to audio books. Stephen Fry did a great job with Harry Potter. In the end I was two and a half weeks away from work. If I'd have had the lazik treatment, I would have been out of action for about 3 days, with hardly any pain, then back to work. I thought originally I would have lazik, but in the end my stigma was too strong, so no choice. Today, I had a follow up eye examination. It turns out my left eye is pretty much ok, but my right eye is still -1.25. This means I'll have to have the same treatment on my right eye. At least I'll be able to see through my left eye. Last time I couldn't stand any light for days. I'm just not looking forwards to the pain. The worst part is that I'll probably have to wait for the surgery until late May or June. So lots of time to think about it.

Well, I had a good swim today. Unfortunately I didn't get a run, since the drops used to dilate my pupils for the eye test make it difficult to see. Tomorrow is another day, and what a day. Friday, my favorite word.

No comments: