Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fun at the pool

Up at 5:45 and off to the swimming pool for a quick 3000m. It's pretty motivating swimming in the same pool and at the same time as the Dutch national team. I was doing my best not to be lapped too many times by the new 50m butterfly world record holder. Not a bad way to start the day. Rest of the day was work as usual. I manage a team of testers and a deployment/support team. We take care of provisioning new internet, telephony and digital tv subscribers in 12 countries across Europe. It's quite a challenging job, but I manage to fit in the sport (most of the time). After work I drove home with my wife, who works across the road from me at Microsoft (I'm a linux fan, so I'm always making fun of her). Then I went for a 11km run with 4.5 kilo rucksack (averaged 11.4kms/hr). Didn't get home until after 20:00, ate, wrote this and now it's time for bed. I'll be up again at 5:30 tomorrow morning for a 16km run before driving to work. But the good news is, it's Friday tomorrow. I run in the morning, have a nice long lunch with the team, play squash with some guys from work, then buy a bottle of wine. You see Friday is the day before my only day off in the week. Which means Friday is the only day I can have a drink! Getting used to this has been interesting, since I got very used to drinking wine with all my meals. But I find it fun to look forwards to it all week, then finally make a really big deal of the "evening before my day off".
Saturday will be back on the wagon ready for a long run on Sunday morning.
Well, time to get not quite enough sleep, before strapping on the heart rate meter and foot pod (I use a Polar 725x) and hitting the dunes.

No comments: