Monday, April 7, 2008

Making up for yesterday

It's hard when you miss a long training day. It's impossible to make up for, but ah, in the end I had 2 days of rest and a really good run today. I averaged 11.2kms/hr over 32kms. For me that's sprinting. I've changed my running style a little, in that I've started picking up my heels more. I'm really focusing on kicking my heel towards my bum at the end of each stride. I've noticed my pulse is a little higher, but I get a much better feeling from the stride. It's as if I'm running downhill even on the flat and my speed is on average 1km/hr faster. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep it up over 32kms, but in the end I didn't have too many problems. Even with a strong headwind (you get that a lot in Holland), I managed to keep the speed up. So, all in all, I'm pretty happy with today. Tomorrow I'm off to the pool again to race the Olympians (read, watch them lap me repeatedly). Then I'll do a run with weight. Feeling pretty energized, although just after the run I was so hungry and thirsty. I'm going to start experimenting with some more foods soon. I've had pretty good success with dried dates, but I'm bad a pacing my fluid intake. Oh well, still a year to learn...

No comments: