Sunday, February 1, 2009

First day at work

In Qatar the weekend is Friday and Saturday, so I had my first official day of work today. Compared to UPC (my previous job) it was quiet. My meeting schedule was empty and I was able to concentrate on the job at hand. I think it will be a great eye opener working here, out of the bureaucracy of a large corporation. I met a potential new employee who was interviewing for a job in sales and we had lunch together. He gave me a lot of good tips and introduced me to a couple of people working at QTEL, which is the main Qatar telephony and internet provider. I left the office at 17:30, and Kate, who works as our PA, gave me a lift to "City Center" which is supposedly the 5th largest shopping center in the world. I then waited about 20 mins for a taxi in a very long queue, then sat in a traffic jam for a very long time, eventually getting back to the hose at 19:00. That's a hour and a half to cover about 7 kms. Tomorrow, I'm going to run home. It should take me about 40 minutes, so I'll add another 5 kms or so on the end. My legs are feeling a lot better now that they're back in action after a couple of weeks of neglect and I can't wait to run again. For now, it's time to read a little and then get some sleep.

No comments: