Friday, January 30, 2009

It's a funny old world

I'm in Istanbul airport waiting for a connecting flight to Doha, which is the capital of a very small country called Qatar. Now until not so long ago I new very little about Qatar, but then fate took a good hold and gave my life a shakeup. We'd (me and the wife) been planning on spending some time living abroad in the not too distant future, hence last year's trip to Canada. Then one day in the office a colleague mentions that he's been offered a job in Qatar, but he can't go because of family obligations. A month later, I'm on a flight out to Qatar to have an almost week long live-in interview. That went well and I'm now off to be the CTO of small internet company. I've swapped a job with a fantastic salary, car, very good benefits, security etc.... for a job with non of the above. I do however run the risk of making a lot of money in the long run and I fancied a little adventure along the way. It is of course the perfect place to do my last 2 months of training before the big run. Speaking of training, I've slacked a little in the last couple of weeks. It's more worked than I ever imagined, moving to a new country. Especially when you're moving from The Nehterlands which is one of the most buerocratic countries in the world. Well, all I can say is, bring it on and let's see what the near future holds. I'm guess it's going to involve lots of working a running and skyping with my wife, who will join me in a couple of months.

I think the simple rule from now on has to be "I will not miss a single training session". Let's see how that goes with a new job in a new country................

No comments: